Notre Dame Sisters serve Lincoln Diocese nearly a century
Sister Michelle served as principal, development/alumni director, founder and moderator of the Elizabeth Ann Seton Club, and substitute teacher at Neumann. Her involvement in the parish included teaching CCD classes, assisting in RCIA classes and leading of the Lenten discussion groups.
With Sister Michelle’s departure, the ministry of the Notre Dame Sisters in Saunders County and in the Lincoln Diocese concludes after almost 100 years.
The Notre Dame Sisters began their ministry in the diocese when they staffed Holy Trinity School in Brainard from 1916 to 1974. That was followed by the Sisters teaching in St. John the Baptist School in Prague from 1927-78; St. Wenceslaus in Wahoo 1923-2003; Assumption in Dwight, 1930-74; St. John Nepomucene in Weston, 1956-2002; Aquinas High School in David City, 1961-78; St. Mary in David City, 1977-78; and Neumann High School in Wahoo, 1974-2016. ln their 93 years at Neumann High School and St. Wenceslaus School, 89 Notre Dame Sisters ministered as educators and/or principals.
ln addition to the Catholic Schools, the Sisters also taught CCD and vacation Bible schools, starting in the late 1930s in the parishes of the following locations in the Lincoln Diocese: Abie, Agnew, Alma, Appleton, Ashland, Aurora, Bee, Blue Hill, Bruno, Burchard, Campbell, Cedar Bluffs, Cedar Hill, Colon, Cortland, Davey, Giltner, Harvard, Loma, Marietta, Mead, Morse Bluffs, Osceola, Plasi, Steinauer, Sutton, Valparaiso, and Wilber. The Sisters also conducted CCD classes in the parishes where the Sisters were teachers in the Catholic Schools.
Besides their ministry in education, the Notre Dame Sisters served the diocese in other capacities. Sister Joyce Stechcon was employed at Catholic Charities in Lincoln from 1970-72. Sister Dolorosa Kremlacek served in the Education Office of the Lincoln Diocese from 1971-74. Sister then worked as activity director and social worker at the Saunders County Care Center in Wahoo. Sister Theresa Maly held the position of pastoral minister at St. John the Baptist in Prague from1974-76. Sister Elaine Herold served as director of pastoral care at St. Elizabeth Regional Medical Center in Lincoln from 1997-2013. Sister Janice Ludvik was in pastoral care at the same medical center from 2010-13.