You should apply for declaration of nullity if you are:
- A divorced Catholic who is now civilly remarried outside the Catholic Church and wishes to have his/her union validated
- A divorced Catholic who would like to remarry
- A divorced non-Catholic who is now civilly married outside the Catholic Church to a Catholic
- A divorced non-Catholic who would like to marry a Catholic
- A divorced Catholic who is thinking about dating
It should be noted that Catholics who are divorced, but who have not entered into another marriage outside the Church are not required to apply for a declaration of nullity. Catholics who are divorced are free to receive the sacraments and are encouraged to do so. However, if the person is thinking about dating in the future, it is best to apply for a declaration of nullity to see whether he or she is free to remarry.