LINCOLN (SNR) – Sacred Heart Parish in Lincoln will celebrate their centennial with a parish picnic Sunday, Aug. 11, from noon to 3 p.m.
The event will be held on the parish grounds at 31st and S streets.
There will be grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, games for children, and entertainment featuring the Mlnarik Brothers.
Free-will offerings will be accepted and all are welcome to attend.
The first Mass for the parish was celebrated Sept. 14, 1919 in the first property at 25th and Y streets. The current church building was dedicated Dec. 22, 1954, by Bishop Louis B. Kucera.
Sacred Heart Parish serves 347 registered families. Father Leo Kosch is pastor.
In 2016, the Knights of the Holy Eucharist took up residence in the former convent at Sacred Heart, which is now the Sacred Heart Friary. The Knights of the Holy Eucharist are “A community of consecrated lay Franciscan brothers dedicated to adoring Jesus our Eucharistic King, serving Shrines and Bishops.”
Perpetual Adoration was established in the parish in May 1967. Parish organizations include CCD and RCIA, the parish council and finance council, the building committee, Altar Society, Holy Name Society, prayer chain, Godteens, St. Vincent de Paul Society, Knights of Columbus, quilters, cleaning committees, fellowship group, and Senior Coffee.
The parish’s largest main event each year is “Septemberfest,” scheduled for Sept. 21 this year. They also hold a pancake feed, baked potato bar, soup supper and cookie sale each year. The Holy Name Men’s Club sponsors a parcel post auction and luncheon and the Knights of Columbus have a fireworks stand each year.