July 22-29, 2019
$3,599 per Pilgrim
With Portugal/Spain extension $4,925
*Pilgrims need to be 16 at the time of travel. Pilgrims under 16 must be accompanied by a parent.
WYD 2019 Summer Alternative Itinerary:
- July 22 Arrive in Rome, transfer to Assisi, and watch the sunset from the Castle
- July 23 Tour principle basilicas of Assisi, explore the city during a free afternoon and evening
- July 24 Transfer to Rome. Take in first sights of the Eternal City: Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, and many remarkable churches.
- July 25 Walking tour of Rome: the Roman Forum* the Colosseum, St. Peter in Chains, the Gesú, and the Trevi Fountain.
- July 26 Descend into the Catacombs of San Callisto. In the afternoon, climb the Holy Stairs and visit St. John Lateran, Santa Croce, and St. Mary Major.
- July 27 Marvel at the Vatican Museums, the Sistene Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica. Enjoy a free afternoon, then join other JMJyouth pilgrims for a night of music, prayer, and fellowship.
- July 28 Attend a private audience** or public Angelus with the Pope. Enjoy a free day to independently explore Rome.
- July 29 Depart Rome for home/extension Depart Rome for Madrid, check into hotel, walking tour of the city center including the Royal Palace and the recently dedicated Cathedral of Our Lady of Almudena.
- July 30 Explore the streets and sites of the Medieval city of Toledo, the ancient capital of Spain, including Plaza de Zocodover, the Church of Santo Tome, the Cathedral and the Synagogue of Santa Maria la Blanca, night in Madrid.
- July 31 Depart for Avila, the best-preserved walled city in the world and celebrate Mass at the Carmelite Monastery. Visit the cell where St. Teresa lived, and see relics of both St. Teresa and St. John of the Cross. Continue on to Albe de Tormes and the tomb of St. Teresa, finally arrive in Santiago de Compostela.
- Aug 1 Visit the Cathedral of St. James the Apostle and venerate his relics. Celebrate Mass and experience the famous swinging of the “Botafumiero”, the Cathedral’s giant censer. Depart for Fatima.
- Aug 2 Visit the Basilica of Our Lady for Mass followed by a visit to the homes of Lucia, Francisco and Jacinta and the Stations of the Cross. Participate in the evening’s Candlelight Procession
- Aug 3 Morning trip to the Church of St. Stephen, or “Church of the Holy Miracle,” in Santarem. Free afternoon and evening in Fatima.
- Aug 4 Transfer to Lisbon and say ciao to Portugal as you depart on your flight home.
Registration for this event is closed.