ELSIE (SNR) – Resurrection of Our Lord Parish is celebrating 100 years in Elsie Sept. 15.
Mass will be celebrated at 5:30 p.m. and a potluck meal will follow. Those who plan to attend should RSVP to Cheri Sis by Sept. 10.
Commemorative Christmas ornaments with an image of the church are being sold by the Altar Society. To purchase an ornament, contact Joan Craig.
Resurrection Parish has been a mission parish of Curtis, Wallace, and Grant over the years. Twenty-one priests have served the parish over the last century, including one resident priest, Father Lambert Brookman, from 1947 to 1950.
The first church in the area was built in 1889 and named Immaculate Conception. Because of economic difficulties the church building was sold in 1903.
With an increase in Catholic residents in the area near the beginning of WWI, it became necessary to build another church in Elsie, in 1917. It was dedicated by Bishop Charles J. O’Reilly Oct. 8, 1918. It was named “Resurrection of Our Lord Church” since it symbolized the spiritual resurrection of the congregation that had been for a decade and a half without a church.